10. Coaching Feedback
It is important for Coaches to be able to facilitate productive reflection/ conversations to ensure that learners can reflect on their learning at the end of each shift, receive feedback from their Coach and ensure that personal learning objectives have been met.
The following questions have been designed to ensure that you are challenged to reflect on your role, practice and patient care and can be used by senior students to facilitate coaching with junior students:
- Where are you with…?
- What do you think has just happened?
- What do you see?
- What did you hear/ observe?
- What have you learnt?
- What does it mean?
- How did you feel when…?
- What did you think would happen…?
- What might be the reason for that?
- What needs to happen next?
- When will you know you have got it right?
- What do you need to pay attention to?
- What might you consider?
- What would you do differently next time?
- What has been the most difficult point?
- If this were a story, what part would need to be told next?
Students who engage in coaching are encouraged to complete a learning log sheet at the start of each shift or learning experience.
11 - What can you Expect from a Coaching Practice Placement